The Importance of Flood Insurance: Don’t Allow Your Home to Drown Underwater
The Importance of Flood Insurance
Insurance is the one thing in life you do not really want until you need it and when you need it, you will be mighty glad you have it. Jacobs Insurance knows how important insurance is and we work hard to offer a wide array of personal insurance options and always support our clients with outstanding customer service. We can help you choose the best carrier for the type of insurance you are seeking and find the coverages you desire.
What is Flood Insurance and Why Do You Need It?
Even though most home insurance claims are water related, flood insurance is typically a stand alone policy since most standard homeowner’s policies do not cover flood damage. Flood insurance protects your home in the event excess water enters your home suddenly or accidentally via a storm or a hurricane. Just a few inches of water can cause major damage. The insurance will give you the peace of mind in the event your home is flooded. Typically, flood insurance goes into effect 30 days after the policy is purchased, so be sure not to wait for a flood to purchase a policy.
What Does Flood Insurance Cover?
The most common flood insurance is offered through the National Flood Insurance Program which is a federally regulated program. One policy covers your actual home up to $250,000 and one covers your personal property up to $100,000. You can purchase one or both. If you have more than $350,000 worth of property to insure, you will need to purchase excess flood insurance from a private company.
- Your home and its foundation
- Electrical and plumbing systems, HVAC equipment like air conditioning, furnaces, and water heaters, window A/C units
- Kitchen appliances, including your refrigerator, stove, and built-ins such as your dishwasher, washer, dryer
- Permanently installed carpeting over an unfinished floor, wallboard, paneling, bookcases, cabinets, window blinds, curtains, carpet
- Detached garages (limited to 10% of your home policy)
- Debris removal
- Clothing, furniture, electronic equipment, portable microwaves, dishwasher, your freezer and frozen food
- Up to $2,500 in valuables, such as art and furs
*Personal possessions claims are paid based on actual cash value — not what you paid for them*
What Isn’t Covered
- Belongings in a bank or safe deposit box, it’s not covered:
- Trees, plants
- Wells, Septic systems, walkways, decks, patios, fences
- Hot tubs, swimming pools
- Boat houses, retaining walls, storm shelters
- Temporary housing and other living expenses, loss of income, cars
- Sewer backups, mold damage(post-flood)
Steps to Protect Your Home From Flood Damage:
- Leave the basement unfinished.
- Use water-resistant building materials.
- Prevent sewer lines from backing up.
- Install backflow valves.
- Keep your washer, dryer, water heater and furnace raised on concrete blocks.
- Install flood shields for basement windows and doors.
- Install a pump system.
*In the event of a flood, seek a professional to make sure the flood-damaged property is safe*
Jacobs Insurance Agency is an independent agency who partners with the best insurance carriers to offer you a wide array of personal insurance solutions designed to meet your unique needs. We specialize in homeowners, auto (including motorcycle and RV), boat, umbrella, and commercial insurance. With over 30 years’ experience in the South Florida area, our specialty is designing a tailored program of coverage to fill your unique insurance needs: whether personal, commercial, or both. Our passion is providing top-notch service and peace of mind to our clients, and we thank you for allowing us to serve you.
Jacob’s Insurance Agency
2328 S. Congress Avenue, Suite 2A
West Palm Beach, FL 33406
Main Phone: 561-967-8400 ext. 102
© Copyright 2017. All Rights Reserved.